I had originally planned to post this during Fire Prevention Week a couple weeks ago, but if you know me, I have been really busy and had too many irons in the fire, so to speak… Since I started working with the city of Marietta, I’ve become pretty good friends with some of the firemen and really respect the work they do putting their lives on the line every day fighting fires and rescuing people trapped inside a burning building. Everyone says that the men and women in the U.S military are heroes, and I couldn’t agree more, but the men and women in our local, state and federal law enforcement agencies and fire departments are truly everyday American heroes for putting their lives on the line to protect our freedom here at home.
I’ve been on several photo shoots with our fire department when they’ve conducted controlled burns of apartments and houses, and it really amazes me how fast a home can be engulfed in flames. A couple months ago, I met Tina Robinette on Twitter and learned she is a firefighter. She is a wonderful woman and really knows her stuff when it comes to fire safety. She and I got to talking, and I mentioned I was looking for guest hosts on the blog and asked if she’d discuss things people can do to protect their homes from a fire. She graciously sent me a lot of info and it’s my pleasure to share it with you. Ladies and gentlemen, Tina Robinette.
Early dectection of a fire is essential! Smoke alarms should be installed in each sleeping room and in the hallways outside of the sleeping rooms to ensure early detection. Also, smoke alarms should be replaced after 10 years. Smoke alarm batteries should be replaced twice a year, when you change your clocks, and smoke alarms should be tested monthly.
A fire can double in size every 30 seconds. There is no set time of how long it can take to evacuate when there is a fire. The key is to have early detection of the emergency and to evacuate immediately. Get out and stay out!
Cooking and careless smoking are the leading causes of home fires.
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the U.S., so make sure you check out these cooking safety tips.
Carelessness is the leading cause of fires when cooking turkeys or hams. If people would apply good fire safety habits when cooking hams or turkeys, there would be fewer fires. 🙂 Check out this AMAZING video about safety when frying turkeys and this one that shows how fast a Christmas tree can catch fire and burn.
I became a firefighter at the age of 33 because of 9/11. After the attacks, my husband and I both joined a volunteer fire department. We became certified as interior firefighters. Soon after becoming a firefighter, I was given an opportunity to join a paid department as a fire inspector. I took the job and loved preventing fires as much as extinguishing them. I worked three and a half years with the city department and have been with the state Fire Marshal’s office for six and a half years. I love my job!
Fire does not discriminate for anyone. It is not nice and does not care who you are. It is extremely important to refresh your fire safety knowledge often to prevent tragedy.
About Tina Robinette
Tina Robinette is married, and she and her husband have four children. Tina has been in the Fire Service for 10 years, and as a fire marshal for the state of South Carolina for the past six and a half years, she supervises 18 counties and four deputies. Tina became a firefighter after 9/11 because she wanted to give back. She has been loving her job ever since. 🙂
Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your theme. Many thanks
Great Article. You do a good job. Thanks again.